On Wednesday, Real Madrid vs RB Leipzig UCL Matchday 2 at Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid hoping to maintain their undefeated start to the 2022/23 season.
On Wednesday, the second day of the group stage of the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League will come to a close. Real Madrid will host RB Leipzig at the Santiago Bernabeu, hoping to keep their perfect record intact in one of the eight games on display.
Real Madrid Team Preview:
Although Kylian Mbappe was a top target of Real Madrid’s, the club may have been unable to get him during the recent transfer window. But that hasn’t stopped Los Blancos from starting the 2022/23 season strongly. Madrid has won all six games a month into the new season despite playing without Karim Benzema for many of the last two contests.
Real Madrid also got off to a winning start in the Champions League last week, beating Celtic 3-0 at Celtic Park in Glasgow thanks to second-half goals from Vinicius Junior, Luka Modric, and Eden Hazard. Real Madrid now sits atop Group F.
RB Leipzig Team Preview:
Bundesliga giants have been slow to get going on the domestic front, so Domenico Tedesco has lost his job. Marco Rose, who took over for Tedesco as RB Leipzig manager, led the team to a 3-0 victory over Borussia Dortmund in Rose’s debut game in command last weekend.
Unfortunately, RB Leipzig lost their Champions League opener 4-1 to Shakhtar Donetsk.
Wednesday’s game marks Real Madrid and RB Leipzig’s first meeting. The Hard Tackle delves further into the UEFA Champions League matchup before the first-ever clash between the two teams.
Real Madrid Team Updates and Strategies:
Carlo Ancelotti’s preparations for Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League group stage match against RB Leipzig have been hampered by a fresh injury concern. As of tomorrow, Real Madrid’s manager will be missing three starters. Spanish forward Lucas Vazquez is the most recent player to be sidelined due to injury. He hurt his thigh in last weekend’s match against RCD Mallorca. Karim Benzema’s knee injury from last week still prevents him from playing. Even though Brazilian international Eder Militao has returned to training, he will not be playing in Saturday’s game against RB Leipzig.
Militao’s absence means that Antonio Rudiger and David Alaba will start at center back beside each other, with Dani Carvajal and Ferland Mendy taking over at fullback. Thibaut Courtois is the only option for Real Madrid in the goalpost.
When playing Mallorca last weekend, Ancelotti decided to bench Aurelien Tchouameni and Luka Modric. Against RB Leipzig, they should both be back in the starting lineup, with Toni Kroos maintaining his place. Modric and Kroos will offer the creative spark from the midfield, and Tchouameni will handle the defense.
Federico Valverde, an Uruguayan international, is Real Madrid’s first choice to play on the right wing in crucial matches, and he’ll be looking to neutralize David Raum’s threat from that side of the field. Real Madrid’s Rodrygo Goes will likely start in attack in place of Eden Hazard, who had a poor showing against RB Leipzig on the weekend, but Vinicius Jr. will be the game-changer for Los Blancos.
Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Courtois; Carvajal; Rudiger; Alaba; Mendy; Modric; Tchouameni; Kroos; Valverde; Rodrygo; and Vinicius.
RB Leipzig Team Updates and Strategies:
Ahead of Sunday’s trip to the Santiago Bernabeu, RB Leipzig manager Marco Rose, like his counterpart in the Los Angeles Dodgers dugout, Marco Rose must deal with some roster difficulties. Three regular starters for RB Leipzig won’t be available to coach on Wednesday.
All three of those injured players, Lukas Klostermann (ankle), Dani Olmo (knee), and Konrad Laimer (ankle), are still out for the time being. Yussuf Poulsen, on the other hand, is healthy and accessible once again after suffering a thigh injury.
This past weekend, Marco Rose’s team faced Borussia Dortmund while in a 4-2-3-1 system. A more practical 3-4-1-2 formation, with Peter Gulacsi beginning in goal, is what the RB Leipzig manager should employ against Real Madrid.
The RB Leipzig defense should consist of Mohamed Simakan, Willi Orban, and Abdou Diallo, with Josko Gvardiol once again left out of the mix. Due to Benjamin Henrichs and David Raum’s newfound prominence in the attacking third, the reshuffled formation should help bring out the best in the fullbacks’ creativity.
Xaver Schlager and Kevin Kampl will work together in the middle of the field to counteract the inventiveness of Modric and Kroos. While Leipzig’s Christopher Nkunku and Timo Werner will be their strike force, Dominik Szoboszlai will be responsible for providing creativity in the center.
Probable Lineup (3-4-1-2): Gulacsi; Simakan; Orban; Diallo; Henrichs; Schlager; Kampl; Raum; Szoboszlai; Nkunku, Werner
How to watch Real Madrid vs RB Leipzig Match:
- Game: Real Madrid vs RB Leipzig
- Date: September 14/15, 2022
- Venue: Estadio Santiago Bernabeu
- Kick-off: 8:00pm BST / 3:00pm ET / 12:30am IST
- Stream: fuboTV (start with free trial), Paramount+
Information That’s Important to Know:
- On Wednesday, Real Madrid will face RB Leipzig, the 14th German team they’ve faced across European competition. Before their April 2016 loss to VfL Wolfsburg, the Merengues had never before met a German team.
- Leipzig is undefeated in their last three European matches against Spanish opponents (W2 D1), with the lone loss coming to Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals (2-1) in 2019/2020. (single-legged tie at Estadio Jose Alvalade).
- Real Madrid has won their last 11 Champions League matches against German clubs (W7 D4). In each of these 11 games, they have scored twice (27 in total). Wolfsburg was the last German team to defeat them, in the quarter-finals in April 2016 (2-0 in Wolfsburg), though Real Madrid ultimately advanced after winning the second leg (3-0 in Madrid).
- In the UEFA Champions League, Shakhtar Donetsk defeated RB Leipzig (1-4). This past season was the first time in the competition’s history that the German heavyweights lost their first three games in the group stage in a single season, and that was under Jesse Marsch.
- In the event of a victory, Carlo Ancelotti would join Sir Alex Ferguson (102) as the only manager to win 100 games in the UEFA Champions League.
Real Madrid vs RB Leipzig Prediction
Real Madrid 2-0 RB Leipzig.
The RB Leipzig defense will not make things easy for Real Madrid on Wednesday. This is where Marco Rose will likely focus his efforts. The away team will be dangerous in the attacking third and seek to take advantage of Real Madrid’s defensive weaknesses.
However, Carlo Ancelotti’s starting midfield should be able to manage Timo Werner and Christopher Nkunku, limiting Real Madrid to one goal in Karim Benzema’s absence. According to the Hard Tackle, Real Madrid will win by a score of 2-0 thanks to goals from Rodrygo and Vini, Goes.